Monday, June 14, 2010

It's gonna be a good day

Sunday we left Fayette, Michigan and headed down highway 2 towards Wisconsin. It was going to be a good day. We were back in range for the phone and computer to work. (I was really getting behind with my blog postings.) We saw lots of deer, both dead and alive, and were lucky enough to watch a big black bear cross the road ahead of us. Of course, I was too slow with the camera so no documentation. We noticed that diesel prices seemed to be cheaper in the U.P. In Escanaba, we made a stop and filled up for $2.76 a gallon. That's the cheapest we've paid. Woo-hoo! Following the next fill ($2.92) I calculated an astonishing 9.8 m.p.g! Wow, that's a double woo-hoo.!!! The road was so smooth that JB asked me if I wanted to drive. I respectfully declined. Well, most of the roads were smooth. We did have one mishap- the glass pepper shaker fell out of the cupboard and broke into a million pieces. Of course, I had refilled it the day before!!

So we were on our way to one of the half price campgrounds that JB chose in Pardeeville (near the Wisconsin Dells). I only had a tiny map that is in the camping book and no Mapquest so we had to rely on Ms. GPS. That's a scary thing! I tried several times to call the reservations number to confirm they had a spot for us. Kept getting a stupid machine. Finally I decided to call their regular number and it was nice when someone answered. Yup, they had room for us. Their machine had said they close at 2 on Sundays. That seemed kind of weird but we would make it before then so not to worry. We did get to the campground, which had an awful lot of activity. I went in to check in and they wanted us to choose our "VIP site". I sent the staff guy to go with JB so he could choose. He picked #5. Got paid up and went to our site. Because of one vehicle in the way, really couldn't easily get into the site. JB unhooked the pick up and then scratched his head. I thought he should just go straight ahead to #4, but it wasn't as long. What does he do...goes into #4. Man, that must have been a good idea! I went back to the office to ask if we could change from #5 to #4. They were so good! Before I could even say a word, they had a new hanging mirror sign for the pick up with a #4 on it. I was impressed!!!

Keep in mind that we knew the NASCAR race in Michigan had begun about an hour before so we had to hurry up and get the TV going. Everything was going as planned. JB didn't like how I parked the truck sideways in front of the rig so he changed it. OK, now we can watch the race. A short time later JB noticed a pick up and a trailer out on the road in front of us backing up. He thought he would stop before he hit our pick up but he didn't. He must not have had any depth perception or something. Crash! He continued around the circle drive and I went out and yelled and motioned for him to get back here. His buddy in another trailer said he wasn't going anywhere. So then we had to get insurance information and all that crap. The wife was very apologetic.....good thing she wasn't driving!! It's a dent in front of the drivers door with some white paint left. There was alot of groaning and moaning but it could have been alot worse!

The NASCAR race results were most interesting. All of our drivers were within the top seven spots, even Jr.
1. That darn Hamlin #11.
2. Kasey #9
4. Jeff #24
5. Tony #14..he's now #11 in points.
6. Jimmy #48
7. Junior #88

Well, I guess it could have been a better day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment