Tuesday, March 16, 2010

First CRASH on "BoBo's Banana"

Since the last blog, MY quad has become known as "BoBo's Banana".

This weekend we took our quad out in the desert to make its maiden voyage! We drove it on Saturday and got it broken in with no issues. "Sure was a good buy".



I'm getting my personal instructions.



I am wearing Timmy's helmet (Brent's friend).

Early Sunday morning LOB and DJB wanted to go for a run. My original intent was to pick up garbage along the trails. The three of us packed up, along with niece SB, brother-in-law CB and great nephews little JB and big JB. We meandered out into the desert, headed for a wash. When we got to the wash, CB expertly drove every one's quads to the other side. I chose to drive mine along a route that SB chose, even though CB asked me if I wanted him to drive mine across. SB instructed me to give it enough gas to get up the hill on the other side. OK, let's do it!




This is the trail. Note the drop off on the left and the bush in the middle.



Now note the tire tracks--one on the road and one halfway down the ditch! The bush is still is still there...to orient you.


It is a little difficult to visualize but this is taken from the opposite direction and is the location of the BIG CRASH. I came down the hill, concentrating on remembering to give it enough gas to get up the hill on the other side but I neglected to keep the quad on the road. Tiny detail!! I got too far to the left with the left wheels and the quad flipped over, pinning me underneath. CB and SB had enough adrenaline to lift the quad up off of me so I could use one leg to push out. I think big JB also helped. I was very happy to get free, as I had gasoline pouring on me from the gas tank. Big JB went back to camp to get more adults to help turn the quad right side up. In the meantime, I got myself upright. My hip really hurt but I could walk on it so I knew it was not broken. AND nothing else seemed to be broken. By the time JHB, GOB and nephew AB all got back to rescue me, I was sitting on my quad...ready to roll.


I landed on my left hip. A hole was torn in the front of my jeans. So I survived my first and hopefully..last crash!! I am extremely lucky that all I got was a huge bruise over my hip, a cut thumb and a few scratches on the helmet and quad. Thanks to my rescuers. And thanks to MJC, a friend of mine, who gave me her guardian angel pin when we got home.


DVB riding his trike around camp.


The brothers!


The entire quad crew.
From left- LOB and DVB on quad, AB, SB on quad, EB on quad, JHB, CBon quad, BMB, DJB on quad, GOB, little JB on quad and big JB on bike.
Let's hope this crash adventure is the last and the operator makes no more errors! Toodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment